10/22/10

New developments

A few random achievements that took place this week, both of which regard the bathroom (I like the Japanese for this phrase better- お手洗いの使い方- Literally the usage of the bathroom, how to use the bathroom). There are probably more important or interesting things to write about, but this is what I choose for tonight.

This week I learned:

How to turn on the hot water when I take a shower! Without fail, if I am able to shower after my host mom and brother, I have hot water. If I shower after my host dad, I don't. For almost six weeks I experienced this phenomenon but didn't want to say anything for fear of seeming too utility-greedy, but, by some act of God, my host dad showed me the other night that there is a button for turning the hot water on and off. My host mom usually left it on after showering, but he always turns it off and wants me to as well.  I was so happy, I can't even explain!  Hot water! The bathroom is cold enough as it is because the windows are always open and it lets in cold air, so I am happy happy happy about this development.

Also, I learned that I have been mistakenly draining the bath water when I am the last to hop in (yes, the Japanese bath water is shared by all. Not as gross as it seems-- You wash before you get in..). Instead, my host mom asked I keep the water in the bath after I get out so that she can use it for laundry the next morning. Talk about economical!  I felt bad for having been draining the bath water for so long, but that was more than made up for when, as I was being told the error of my ways, I recognized the word for "leave things as they are", a new vocab word on a quiz I had last week!

A rather trivial post, but it amazes me I am still figuring out how the bathroom works!  Tomorrow I leave for the weekend with the other Japan Study students for a weekend in the mountains-- Much fun should be had by all!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post. I'm now fascinated by the way they conserve water and energy in Japan!

    ReplyDelete