One aspect of importance I have come to realize in Japanese society is the ability to identify and, to an extent, classify, people into racial and national categories. This makes sense to me in many ways- Japan has been historically notorious for their emphasis on, and even pride for, racial hegemony. Hundreds of years of economic isolation kept immigration inside and outside of the island nation of Japan minimal. Also, from my Korean friends I have learned the importance of what it means to be "racially" Korean. This is not only simply being born of Korean parents, but different groups emerge depending on if the child grows up abroad, is half Korean, or decides to immigrate to another country. Race and country affiliation are important parts of the Japanese sense of self-identity.
Perhaps having grown up in America, the "melting pot" nation, I don't really assume to be able to read much about one's cultural background by the way their face looks. Americans come in all shapes, colors, languages, religions, and cultural practices, and thus it is impossible to clearly classify what it is to be "American" based on such external observations. I have found it very interesting then that many people are often surprised to find out that I am from America. I have been thought to be from Italy, France (many times), Germany, Russia, and Scandinavia. The latter makes sense I suppose, but I am always stunned when people tell me I don't "look" American. What do Americans look like? That was never a question I really thought to consider as to me there is no consistent feature, physically or otherwise, that is common among all US nationals. When talking to my host family about this, they revealed how, when they were children, all foreigners were thought to be from America due to a heavy cultural influence coming from the States during the 1970s and 1980s. All white people were lumped into the category of American, no questions asked. I find it interesting now that this has changed so much, that I do not fit the mold of what a typical American should look like.
Furthermore, other Asian-American students on the Japan Study trip have at various times felt their race to be a disadvantage to them when living in Tokyo, especially in times when native English speakers are sought after. For example, the way that most of us Japan-Study-ers are earning money is by advertising ourselves on a website in which individuals who want to learn English search and contact us. As a part of our profile, we are asked to post a photo, and the results among the group were interesting. Women who appeared to be white had little trouble finding tutoring positions. The same was true for the half-Japanese (It was the opinion of some in the group that Japanese find people of mixed Japanese race to be especially interesting). American students whose families came from other Asian countries or who didn't look "white" enough (ie Hawaiian) had much more trouble finding students. Perhaps because, in Japan anyway, historically America was linked with white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, and thus those with those features would be contacted first.
Very interesting to me to see the way race is considered and thought about in Japan. These are very sweeping generalizations and really my first go at these complex ideas, but race is a topic that interests me a lot- so perhaps look for more future postings on my attempt at social enlightenment!
peace peace
Wow. Very interesting observations. Looking forward to hearing more.
ReplyDelete