12/21/10

I may have just met the Great Gatsby.

I just came back from literally the most surreal experience I've had in Tokyo thus far. Which really is saying quite a lot.  I have things I was planning on writing about tonight, but they are getting pushed to the back in order for this story to make it's way into the open.

So, my host dad was invited by one of his bosses to a Christmas party being held at his house, and I was especially invited, along with Machico-san and Kojirou-kun.  I was very excited about this, as I really like learning about "normal" life for Japanese people and was excited to see what a Christmas party in Japan was like.  It turned out Machico san and Kojirou kun couldn't come, so it was just me and the host dad, but then I found out this morning he would be coming THREE HOURS LATE, so I was on my own.  I was a little bit nervous about this but it really ended up being no problem.  Kenichi sent his coworkers my photo so they could meet me at the station (although really it's not very hard to spot me), so we met up and walked to his boss' home where the party was being held.  My first impression of his boss, Watanabe san, was just a normal Japanese man and really didn't talk to him much during the first portion of the party.  As I got to know him a bit more I found him to be the typical alpha-male type- very successful in his professional life and thus carried himself with that kind of authority in his private life, a bit pretentious perhaps.  I had a great time though and was really able to engage in conversation and get to know Kenichi's co-workers better.

The first crazy thing that happened was relatively tame, but set the tone for the rest of the night.  At New Year's time, Japanese parties usually incorporate cake-eating into the celebration.  This was no different, only literally I have never in my life been served and actually expected to eat a larger piece of cake. These were HUGE HUGE HUGE pieces-- and so over the top with berries and cream. I had never seen anything like it.  Really really, it blew my mind the monstrosity of this cake!  Shortly after the cake was served, my host dad arrived along with another colleague.  He was obviously well liked by everyone and we had a nice time socializing and chatting.  I've never been in a party scenario with him, and I was amazed at how freely the alcohol was flowing! He'd had a long few days though, so I was glad to see him relax.  Alcohol is a huge part of Japanese socialization, and my host dad was using that to his benefit!

A bit after this, Watanabe's wife came into the room.  Until this point I hadn't met her yet, and my first impression was a that of a shy, quiet, elderly woman.  She only spoke a few words to me and went on her way.  Later a woman I didn't know came to me and said there was an international student from China that they wanted me to meet.  I had only just met this person and, because I was enjoying my time spent with my host dad and his co-workers, I didn't really want to go.  Being "international" in Japan is sometimes a bit of a burden because some Japanese people find you to be "fascinating"- Indeed that was the reason I was invited to the party and why I was receiving so much attention from the host.  I was able to graciously back out of the meeting, postponing it to an unmentioned and vague future, and went back to the party.

Next Watanabe showed Kenichi and I (the other party guests too, but mostly Kenichi and I) his various hobbies: Collecting vinyl records and being a music sound-system connoisseur, his passion for mountain climbing, his collection of books on business, his collection of watches, etc etc etc.  I was a bit bored by this man's sense of self-importance, but he really liked showing us and from talking to Kenichi I learned he and his boss didn't socialize much and he was really excited to get to spend time with him, so I kept up the show of unfaltering interest.

I was feeling ready to go when again Watanabe's wife came and asked me to come with her to meet the Chinese student. Apparently wherever this person was, it wasn't in her house, so we walked across the street to another home and ascended to the second level.  When we opened the doors, there was a room full of young people in their 20s having a full-blown party!  Watanabe's daughter was among the 20-somethings present and introduced herself.  Here is where the surreal experience began.  Imagine following someone you've known all of ten minutes and who is 40 years your senior to a different location, whereupon you meet 10 young men and women in their 20s eating and drinking and obviously having a great time.  Too great of a time apparently as the noise level became too high and we had to move back to the main house (other house? i don't know who the second house belonged to..)  From there I had an absolutely wonderful time getting to know these people- talking about a really wide range of topics.  I just wish I could better explain the absurdity of the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment