1/23/11

The wind down of semester 1

The last week-and-a-half or so has been a pretty quiet but also fun week. Finals for fall semester are finally underway, so I had lots of study dates with the library and Saizeria- a mock Italian restaurant chain that has bad food but, more importantly, has an unlimited coffee bar.  So I am well caffeinated these days!

Probably the highlight of recent days came last Thursday.  My friend from high school that also is from the same school in Okinawa where I am going to spending the month of February invited me to her friend's apartment to make nabe, or basically veggies and meet that are cooked in a savory broth, with her other friends from Okinawa.  We had such a wonderful time- everyone was really really nice to me and there were two other girls there who had graduated from the same high school as Narumi!  It was so fun to eat good food and meet new people and hear so much about the place where I will be going in less than two weeks.  Also, I had a really crazy encounter- A guy named Kenta came to the party about an hour after we had started eating.  Kenta had actually gone to my high school for one year as an exchange student when I was a freshmen.  I don't think I had ever talked to him, but I remembered him because he was in choir with me and he had a really big solo for one of our spring concert pieces that year.  I literally had never ever ever ever considered the fact that I might run into him- I didn't even know he was in Tokyo! But he goes to the same college as Narumi, and so Thursday night there he was! Oh life- it's so fun the interactions and encounters you can have with others when you least expect it.

After that things have been pretty quiet- Some really nice nights bonding with my host family- things are going so well- I'm really lucky! Then Saturday a friend had a small dinner party at his apartment and Sunday there was a going-away party for the students in my program who are leaving after this semester (aka in about one week!).  And of course lots of studying--!

This week things get really really busy though.  I am taking advantage of today, Monday and my day off, to get organized and study, as the following days I don't know how much time I will have.

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment