From the mouth of a sweet German grandmother, this
admittedly grotesque and sensationalist title phrase has proven to be an
interesting bit of food for thought over the last few days. I had a very
enlightening conversation with a new friend of mine over the weekend on the
value of contentedness in the 21st century. He told me the story of
his friend’s grandmother who, at an annual family gathering, would send all the
young people out with twenty euro or so to spend on gambling, but would always
warn them that “greed eats brains”. (Note: My friend assures me this phrase has
a more dramatic effect when said in its native German, and when I asked him to
demonstrate I only know that it sounds even more terrifying haha). Sort of a
strange story (really, whose grandmother gives them money to spend on gambling?) , but a striking one. Greed can become an all-consuming vice that
spills over into facets of one’s life that they didn’t even consider. “Greed
eats brains” to me accurately captures the feeling I sometimes have when I walk
into a store and after 10 minutes feel like I need to buy, buy, buy. What is
even more amazing to me is that literally the moment I exit the store, this
brain “fever” suddenly dissipates and is gone, as quickly as it started. It can
be so easy to be distracted by things that we don’t need. Now that I live on my
own, I have been more conscious of the role material items play in my life and
have taken great efforts to not get swept up in “stuff”.
Moving on from the topic of greed, our conversation took a
more general turn as we discussed the importance of contentedness. My friend
said that he was lucky to have been “born happy”, to be someone who’s natural
state is one of contentedness with life.
This doesn’t mean being apathetic to one’s place or position, rather a
perspective that allows one to focus on the things that really matter and let
go of the things that don’t. It was encouraging for me to hear, as sometimes I
get too caught up thinking about where I want to go, who I miss, who I want to
be with, who I don’t want to be with, etc, and I forget to be happy where I am.
I’m sure this happens to everyone, but this conversation had impeccable timing
because in the past two weeks or so I’ve really been settling into my life in
Okinawa and am trying to own it and make it mine.
The things I’m writing about maybe sound obvious or show my
youth and lack of experience, but all of the sudden this week so many things
clicked for me about the importance of living in a way that is simple and
happy. Part of being 22 is feeling stress and anxiety about the future as there
are so many question marks and places of uncertainty in the months and years
ahead. However, it was so refreshing to hear this grounding wisdom from someone
not so much older than me. Good to know I am surrounded by such level-headed
people.
No comments:
Post a Comment