It's amazing to me how quickly a sense of normalcy can develop in one's day to day life. Two weeks ago, I was at my house, absolutely no idea what was waiting for me across the ocean. A week ago, I met my host family for the first time and started my life with them. As I walked home from school today I was struck by one's ability to adapt to a new routine and make it feel normal. I feel very comfortable in this new setting. I thought it might take me longer to begin to adapt to a completely new rhythm of life, but it surprises me the ease in which I'm able to navigate new situations. I'm sure six months from now I will look back on this moment and realize how little I actually know, for all the rude awakenings that lie ahead; but even so, I appreciate the fact that it is beginning to feel like I am carving out a small niche for myself in Japan. In many ways I am, and always will be, and outsider- I am obviously not Japanese, do not speak the language very well, and lack the social and kinesthetic graces that those born and raised in this country naturally come by. In other ways, though, I feel happy enough to have a family here that cares about me, friends to drink coffee and eat ramen with, and a school where I have a place, even if it is as an international student.
While today was the first official day of classes, I have Mondays off so I didn't need to make the trek to school. Waseda just couldn't keep me away, however, and by 10:30 am I was off to campus. I am looking for a circle (club) to join, and while I was doing that ran into a friend and we decided to eat my favorite Japanese food, ramen. It's been a cold and rainy day, so the hot broth was welcome. Then we sat and chatted for an hour or so until he had class, and I left to buy my textbooks and school supplies. I'm all set for my first day of school tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment