9/21/10

Really long post

These last few days have gone by too quickly- dangerously quickly for a girl who is trying to, in some capacity, record the things that are happening.

I'll start here. The last few days in our hotel in Ikebukuro were really fantastic. We went on lots of outings with the Japanese students and saw many wonderful sites and ate many wonderful foods. Even better, I felt like I really got the chance to get to know some of the other Japan study students and form friendships with them. Lots of late nights, long talks, and long walks along the streets of Tokyo.  It was almost scary, though, how fast the days seemed to be going by and how much was being crammed into them. One day felt like two, and it's difficult to remember the chronological order in which things happened. But that's okay-- It was really wonderful being able to get to know the city, the language, and the other US students in such a fun way. I was complaining to a friend before leaving about how lame orientation would probably be, but looking back it was a really fantastic way to get our feet wet without having to dive in head first. I feel that it did actually prepare me for having to navigate Tokyo while speaking a foreign language and living with people I've never met. Check-plus, Japan Study orientation!

As great as orientation was, I am so happy to be with my host family! The afternoon we were to meet our families, everyone was nervous, including me. Before leaving for Japan, I really didn't feel any sense of anxiety, but I definitely did as the hours slowly wound down before we were to meet the strangers we would be living with for the next ten months! Unfortunately, my host family was the very last to arrive! The orientation session where the families and students meet was over and everyone else was gone, so I was by myself with the Japanese assistants and our director. (Actually, one of my friend's family wasn't able to pick him up at all that day, so he had to go back to the hotel and spend the night alone with no Japan Study students around!)

After much anticipation, my host dad came for me, along with my little two-year-old brother, Kojiro! My dad's name is Kenichi-san, and my mom's name is Machico-san. They are such a nice couple- Machico-san was busy in the kitchen making a wonderful dinner for us when we arrived home. Machico and Kenichi are both very warm and outgoing people, and they also are very busy people! Kenichi-san has spent a lot of time traveling and has even lived in New Zealand for a year teaching English. He really loves hiking and "trekking" and has been to Nepal and Europe as well! I didn't fully understand what his work is now, but he works for a company and writes articles and takes photographs. I'll work on figuring out the rest of the details! Machico-san has also traveled some- Africa and Europe- and now works with the elderly. They are a busy family between work, their son, and keeping house, but they have been so kind! I feel really fortunate to be living with them.

Kenichi-san and Machico-san live in an area of Tokyo called Higashi-Koganei, about forty minutes via subway from my school, Waseda University in the heart of Tokyo. It is a much more residential area than other parts of Tokyo we've seen, and very quiet. So far, I like it a lot! They live in a house as is pretty typical it seems in Japan, a fact I was surprised about as most of my Korean friends live in apartments. The house is small- entryway, room with a toilet, living area, room with sink and shower, kitchen, and then a second floor with my room, a second bedroom, and a room that I think holds laundry. It's a very cosy home though, and Machico-san is an excellent cook. She's even been letting me help with the dishes! (my favorite household task..)

Today was very eventful. My second day in the home, first full day, I successfully was able to navigate from the house to the Higashi-Konagei ward-headquarters where I had to register, by myself, for my foreign alien identification card and health insurance. I didn't really get lost- an amazing feat in itself- and made it from there to Waseda. One traumatic moment: For our foreign id cards, we need to provide two small photos of ourselves. I used the photos I had been using for my visa and Waseda id card. Much to my surprise, as I give my photos to the seventy-five year old man helping me, he suddenly looks shocked and asks if it's really me in the photo! When I say yes, he starts laughing and shows it to his co-worker who also starts laughing. They then show it to another co-worker, pointing alternatively at the photo and me while laughing. Apparently, the photo is really hideous and doesn't look like me. He said I was too pretty to be the girl in the photo. Compliment? I was actually very offended. However, I suppose a random foreigner showing up with a really awful photo might make someone's day. He redeemed himself though when he helped me correct a mistake on my application. Just another reminder on how dependent on others I am in this country. He was actually being very nice to me, even if his kindness was a little offensive!

Also, big official beginning of the year ceremony for Waseda SILS students today! We had to dress up and listen to the dean of the SILS department, along with other faculty, speak. Also, course registration is happening today and tomorrow, but we won't find out what our finalized schedules are until the day before classes start!

Ah, so much to say, but I guess I have a year to say it so I'll quit for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment