9/23/12

AKAJIMA


Life has suddenly started seeming normal. My apartment is finished, furnished and, those who saw my room last year may be surprised by this, even decorated. I have the most wonderful view that looks out over all of Naha, transforming the city from a grungy concrete jungle into a ritzy and romantic skyscape. Abbey, the other American TA who also lives on my floor, likes to say that she is inspired to think big thoughts when she looks out at the view. I don’t know if I think big thoughts, but I certainly enjoy the metropolitan feel.

We were to enjoy that view on Friday night with some of our new teacher friends from school. David and his girlfriend, Ben (another American teacher) and a former teacher named Paul came by to enjoy the sunset on our rooftop porch. I have been hearing about Paul since the last time I was in Okinawa and have started to refer to him as “legendary Paul”, partly in jest but also because his life is actually kind of interesting.  He quit his job as a teacher at my school where he was loved by the faculty and students to pursue his dream of training under a Karate master. He now works at the most elite school in Okinawa and continues to study karate. I’ve actually met many foreigners now who say that at least part of the reason why they are in Okinawa is to study karate. If I see foreign men and they aren’t military, that is more than likely the reason for coming to Okinawa. Karate began in Okinawa and from there spread to the rest of Japan. Students at my school are required to take Karate as a part of their course curriculum in an effort to further preserve Okinawan culture. I may even go to a few classes, just to see what all the fuss is about.

While our rooftop party way fun, we made it an early night as the next morning we were heading to Akajima (Red island- “aka” means red and “jima” means island) for a day of swimming, snorkeling and relaxing. The ferry takes about 1.5 hours and was full of people excited to spend the day at the beach. And we weren’t disappointed! Swimming in the ocean at Akajima was one of the best swimming experiences I have ever had. I was probably swimming in the water for three hours, surrounded by fish I never thought I would see in my life. The colors were incredible- neon blue, bright yellow, purple, silver and every color in-between.  I saw a Rainbow Fish and for a moment was filled with a sense of nostalgia as I remembered a book my sister and I used to read often when we were growing up. Basically, it was amazing. I unfortunately didn’t take any pictures, but I plan to go back soon, so I will put them up at that time.

When we returned around six pm, two teachers we work closely with took us to dinner. This was a very fun experience as outside of work, many Japanese people are able to reveal a bit more of their personality and have a bit of fun. We had a great time!
Sunday Abbey, John and I were invited to the home of the Vice Principal and his wife, another teacher at school. It was such a kind gesture as they made us feel so welcome. It was also funny at times because the Vice Principal and his family lived in Minnesota for a few years while he was a visiting professor at St. Ben’s/St. John’s. Throughout the entire dinner the VP was playing videos from his time in MN, mostly featuring the animals that came to his back yard. A bit unexpected maybe, but overall a great dinner.

Now I am back at school and am working hard to be productive not just with my school work but also in making plans for life after Okinawa. If my senior year of college taught me anything it was that one year goes by quickly, as do application deadlines! 

No comments:

Post a Comment