9/6/12

Week One


Our first week of school is almost at an end. We are being spoiled, though, as Friday is sports day for the junior high so all of my classes are canceled, AND we don't have morning classes on Saturday (every-other Saturday we dutifully must report to the office, even though we don’t teach classes). So looking forward to a long weekend. We might not deserve it yet, but I think I can speak for all of us (John, Abbey and myself) when I say we sure appreciate it! It has been a stressful and somewhat confusing week as we complete the orientation process and begin to decipher our day-to-day routines.
Monday and Tuesday were orientation days, sometimes a bit more DIS-orienting than anything else. It has really been logistically a confusing two weeks. Many small details that we thought were set in stone have turned out to be not as they appeared. We are not yet settled into our apartments due to repairs that must be made and don’t have a move-in day in sight. Our responsibilities have changed rather dramatically as well, especially in regards to the amount of time we are required to put in after school. Without getting into the nitty-gritty, it’s been a bit stressful navigating through issues with our contract. But, I am sure that anyone stepping into a job such as this one would be able to share similar experiences, and I am lucky to have the confidence in the place I am working and the people I am working with to be able to let go of the very small obstacles that come my way.  Okinawa has been so so good to me over the last five years or so, and I am grateful everyday to be able to be here!
Beyond the bureaucratic business, classes and life as a teacher has been good thus far. I’ve taught a few “team teaching” classes (exactly as it sounds- working with a full-time teacher) as well as on my own in bi-lingual classes aimed to help students more advanced in their English study. Talking with the other two newbie Americans I realize how lucky I am to have had the experiences I had in Okinawa in 2011 as they removed so many of the question marks that surround teaching in a foreign country. I think I will like teaching, and getting to know the students and saying hello to them in the hallways has also been a really positive part of my day.
I realized tonight another HUGE advantage I have here. I can speak Japanese. And I really really LIKE speaking Japanese. I love that I am able to talk with any of the teachers at school, whether they speak English or not. I love being able to use my language skills to read the signs on the street or to ask for directions if I get lost. Not having that ability would really make the first few months of this job be a bit isolating. But even more than that, I had forgotten how much I really love language and being able to express myself in a different tongue my ideas shifting and being shaped by the alternative grammar patterns and cultural perspectives embedded in language. This is so far my favorite thing about being in Okinawa.
Other than that life is good. Slowly I am able to reconnect with friends and acquaintances and am eager to build my social network. I still don’t have a cell phone or a bank account and don’t know when that will happen. That plus the fact I don’t know when I will ever be able to unpack (it’s been solo long!) makes it a little bit difficult to feel like I’m putting some roots down, but the time for all of that will come. For now, I’m happy where I am and am looking forward to a relaxing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment