10/25/12
I haven't had anything overwhelmingly interesting to write about in recent days (I mean, how can you top Miss International?), so instead I'll just touch briefly on a few mildly interesting topics.
1. FREEDOM
So I spend more hours sitting at my desk trying to look busy on my computer than I ever thought I would. I'm still getting used to the 8-5 schedule, and the enormous amounts of downtime are proving to be the largest challenge so far. By the end of the day my legs are practically itching to move around and take me somewhere or do something. I think fondly back to my summer working at Habitat for Humanity sweating in the summer sun and coming home tired and sore. However, here in Okinawa I now have a new friend that helps me with my lack of mobility problem. About a month ago I bought a bike, and it has quickly become a trusty friend. I like just going on bike rides at night because it is a great way to get to know Naha and the surrounding cities (Okinawa is not a very big island). I've stumbled across come really interesting things- a graveyard for foreigners with a special stone commemorating Commodore Perry's arrival to Japan, subsequently ending hundreds of years of isolationism, for example. My favorite find by far happened almost a week ago. Last Saturday we had a half day of school, and at one o'clock when we finished I was ready to ride. I took off heading south and ended up at Senaga beach, an isolated beach with rocky coral and sand that was directly in the airport's flight path. I enjoyed laying in the sun, feet in the water watching the planes come home. So great. I love my bike. And I know it loves me. :)
2. The joys of Scandinavian radio (thank-you, internet).
In an effort to maximize linguistic growth opportunities, I have taken to listening to Norwegian or Swedish radio while at my desk. Sometimes I even pair it with Japanese language study, although that's probably not the most productive use of my time! I'm kind of surprised how much I can understand, but more than anything else, listening to these national radio stations makes me realize how sad Winona's stations are. Us Winonans are forced to listen to the same twenty pop songs rotate endlessly all day and all night until you can hardly stand to turn the radio on. Yea, European internationalism and taste in variety! Takk/Tack!
3. The (G.D.) Global Dorm
This is a topic I won't write too much about, as you never know who is reading what when it's posted on the internet, but life has been a little more exciting here in Okinawa due to a little project my American co-workers and I affectionately refer to as the G.D. Global Dorm. Basically, the four of us will be rotating night shifts in the school's new Global Dorm once or twice per week. The Global Dorm is a cool idea- basically placing Japanese students with foreign students in a room-share, thus exchanging cultures and encouraging practical English usage. There has been some miscommunication going on with the admin and the four of us, however, so it's become a bit of a tense topic at times in terms of what our responsibilities will be. However, it has also been a source of fun. For example, last week we took the cheesiest photo shoot ever to provide photos for the brochures. One of them involved a seemingly impromptu guitar/SAXOPHONE concert by Abbey and one of the students. Another involved a PG-13 Scrabble game. Good times!
4. Okinawan Host Fam
Last night I met up with my Okinawan host parents and their niece and nephew at a Korean restaurant, and it was an amazing time. When we first met my host mom and I bonded almost immediately on our shared love of all things Korean, and we both really enjoy Korean food. And while the Korean dinner was wonderful, I was mostly so happy to be with my surrogate parents in Japan. More than my Tokyo host family, the Kinjos are like my second parents. They fuss over me and worry about me and buy me presents and basically spoil me like any Japanese parents would.
5. Weekend plans
Heading to Kume Island tomorrow/Sunday for my first ever camping experience. Cannot wait. There will be a marathon on Sunday and we know some people running in it, so it will be fun to cheer for them and watch them compete. Kume is supposed to be amazingly beautiful, so I am very excited. I will write about that when we get back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment