10/14/12

When beauty queens attack..


On Friday, a very strange thing happened. I was teaching a late morning bilingual class when suddenly, excited cries and screams filled my classroom from across the courtyard. They had arrived. Who, you might be wondering? The tall, beautiful and exotic contestants for....MISS INTERNATIONAL! (Audience applauds)  http://www.miss-international.org/en/

Miss International is apparently a Japanese beauty competition that recruits young beauties from all over the globe to come to Japan and compete for the title of 'Miss International'. I know what you're thinking- why was I not given a personal invitation to this obviously select display of beauty, grace and talent? I have no idea frankly. But maybe next year I will be, as apparently Okinawa has been contracted to be the host of this bizarre event for future years.

Another question potentially burning in your minds? Why would these young ladies be coming to the high school/junior high school where I am teaching? To take part in a karate demonstration, of course!

I must admit, while it was an incredibly bizarre experience to have the majority of the student body as well as faculty and staff members clumped around windows, balconies and doorways trying to get glimpses of these foreign beauties, and while it was even weirder how much all the boys (and girls) screamed once they walked from the school and into the gym, it was funny watching some of them try to perform the karate forms they had been instructed to do. Each contestant was paired with one karate club member and one English-speaking high school student. It was obvious that some of the gals were more athletic than others.

The best part of the day though was by far seeing all the high school boys who are a part of the sports class lining the space between the high school entrance and the gym, making a path through which the contestants would pass. Let's just say they were pretty excited.

 Just a portion of the students hanging off the balconies to see the Miss International contestants.
 High school sports boys. Pretty pumped. 
 Students AND teachers (with cameras- myself included obviously) trying to get a sneak peek of the action in the gym. 
And of course, the ladies themselves (donning the pink t-shirts). 



Just another day in Okinawa!

No comments:

Post a Comment